Let the leafy greens shine in this delicious Silverbeet and Ricotta Crostata, with a homemade buttery pastry. If you are in a bit of a rush you can substitute homemade pastry with @caremepastry butter puff, or sour cream shortcrust pastry, both of which can be found in our freezer section.
• 100g chilled unsalted butter
• 180g all-purpose flour
• pinch of salt
• chilled water
• 300g chopped silverbeet (keeping stalks separate to leaves)
• 150g ricotta delicata by
• 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
• 1/2 red onion, sliced
• 1 tspn caraway seeds
• 1/2 long red chilli thinly sliced
• olive oil
• 1 egg yolk
• sesame seeds
• salt and pepper to taste
• Preheat oven to 180°C
• Place flour on your work surface and add a good sprinkle of salt. Rub chilled butter through flour mix, using fingertips until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add chilled water one tablespoon at a time until pastry comes together to form a ball. Roll out pastry to a rectangular shape, fold both ends of the pastry towards the centre and roll out. Repeat this process 10 times. (This helps create a flakey, crumbly pastry). Wrap pastry and chill for 1 hr.
• In a little olive oil sauté stalks first, adding caraway seeds, red onion and garlic. Continue by adding silverbeet leaves until wilted and semi cooked. Season with salt and pepper. Place in a sieve to remove excess liquid and allow it to cool.
• Roll out chilled pastry to form a round. Sprinkle 3/4 of ricotta cheese on the pastry, allowing enough edge on the pastry to fold over and create trim. Follow with sautéed silverbeet mix, top with remaining ricotta, red chilli and a drizzle of olive oil. Fold in pastry edge, pinching as you go around, brush with egg yolk and sprinkle with sesame seeds to garnish.
Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for roughly 30 minutes.